NEW Registration for the 2022-2023 school year is closed. The application period for 2023-2024 is January 9th to May 10th, 2023.
The English Montreal School Board welcomes students from all over the world into our international program. (Please visit Canada.ca to find out COVID-19 travel restrictions.)
Steps required to become an international student
There are several steps to complete before your child can be accepted as an international student. This process may take time to complete.
Please read ALL THE STEPS on this page to understand the complete process to become an international student in Canada.
Prepare Documents - Getting Ready to Apply
Once you start your application process, the following documents and information will be required:
- Student’s original birth certificate including the name of both parents
- A certified copy of the student’s birth certificate (translated in English or French)
- The student’s most recent report card (translated in French or English)
- Choose a school with the interests of the student in mind (First, second and third choice of school)
- Current photos of the student / the guardian / the custodian
- All the necessary information (home addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, etc.)
- Both parent(s) and student must read the Outlines of the EMSB International Youth Student Program and Admission Fees.
P.S.:All documents must be submitted in PDF or JPEG files only and less than 5MB in size for each document.
Step 1 - Submitting your Application to the EMSB
Once you have read and agreed with the Outlines of the EMSB International Youth Student Program and Admission Fees, you may start your application process.
- Student, parent and guardian will need to sign the Legal International Student Agreement
- You will need to create an account using one of the following links below and then submit all the documents mentioned above
Please take note that once you have created your account, you have ten (10) days to finalize and submit your application with the documents mentioned above. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Step 2 - Receiving the EMSB Acceptance Letters
Once you have submitted your application to the International Student Department, and you have been accepted, the EMSB will prepare the following two documents for you:
- Letter of acceptance (L.O.A.) for the Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)
- Letter of acceptance (L.O.A.) for the Immigration Canada Study Permit
In order to receive both documents, a $ 250.00 CAD (non-refundable) fee will be required. See our Admission Fees page for more details.
This process may take up to 3 to 4 weeks to complete.
Step 3 - Applying to become an International Student in Quebec and Canada
Once you have received both Letters of Acceptance (L.O.A.), you may begin the application process for a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) from Quebec, and a Study Permit from the Government of Canada.
- Apply for a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) online at Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion Québec
- Apply for a Study Permit online at Government of Canada - Immigration
This process may take up to 6 to 20 weeks to complete.
Step 4 - Finalizing your Application
(This step can only be done when you arrive in Montreal)
Once you have received both your Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) (Quebec) and your Study Permit (Canada), the guardian/parent of the student will need to visit the English Montreal School Board in person, in order to apply for a Certificate of English Eligibility. They must provide to the school board all the following documents:
- The Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)
- The Study Permit from Immigration Canada
- The original birth certificate of the student showing both parents’ names
- The translated (English or French) birth certificate showing both parents’ names
With the above documents, the International Student Department will apply for a Certificate of English Eligibility which is required for the student to attend an English public school in Quebec.
This process may take up to 3 weeks to complete.
Please contact us if you have any questions regarding the process.